1/31/11

No take backs!

Man! As soon as I hit "publish" I regretted even talking about the half marathon!
I have never done a road race, and I'm not competitive... why did I sign up for this? Follow that up with several people who are real runners saying they've never done a half... I have some serious regrets, here!
Oh well- cats out of the bag and I can't wrestle it back in! ;)
Like I said, my goal is to finish... period. I do have a training schedule (it was for beginners!) and I've been doing a lot of reading on running- its it's own little cult world, isn't it? I thought I was more of a "techie" but I find myself leaning more towards the "minimalist" group... I went for a 4 mile run last Saturday sans-iPod, and I loved it! There is just something freeing about running without music-I'm down with that!
Spending the last year getting healthier has been quite the adventure. The foods I'm eating (quinoa- for example, would never had been on my radar a year ago, let alone in my lunch bag!), the activities I've done (Insanity, running four miles at once *gasp*), and the respect I've gained for what my body is capable of have been the best and biggest changes over the last year.
So, you healthy folks- what are your favorite healthy food? Favorite body-changing workouts? Favorite gear or gadgets? Favorite blogs to read? :)
I'd love to know what you all do to make yourselves feel like wonder-women! Spill it!

3 comments:

  1. You can do it!
    I love RunKeeper on my Iphone because it keeps up with my pace and distance, etc. I also like listening to radio programs or podcasts vs. music--time passes faster for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'm all anti-running but I went to lift weights last night and I usually run a couple minutes to warm up and after my few minutes, I had already run .4 miles and I wasn't tired so I thought I'll just try for a mile...and it was a breeze! Maybe I should explore this a little more.....
    I'm starting to experiment with flax seed/meal and chia seeds. Protein powder is a must for my smoothies and to get the recommended "gram of protein for your body weight"-which is a lot! And I love my gymboss and HRM! Fitnessista.com is prob my fav health blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm not going to call myself totally a health nut nor a true athlete, but I do what I can and since a couple of years ago I went through the journey you are going on now, I thought it might be fun to comment.

    First, I was completely unhealthy and never worked out...like ever. Then I decided I was unhapppy with being a fatty and decided to change my ways. The first day I started, I could BARELY run a mile. Now, I run 3-4 miles at a time, usually 3-4 times a week. (Not so much since Wes..but hey)

    My favorite gadget for sure, is my gps watch. I LOVE that thing. I love knowing my pace (helps with getting faster) and how it shows me the distance I've run and the calories I've burnt, etc, etc. It's awesome. I know apps on phones can do that now, but I prefer my watch-easier to wear and doesn't eat up a battery.

    And, some of my favorite healthy snacks I got into while being healthy are:
    plain, nonfat yogurt with frozen mixed berries and granola. For a healthy dessert, canned pumpkin microwaved with a tad bit of brown sugar, top with yogurt and graham crackers.

    Good for you on changing your ways!!

    ReplyDelete

(persistence pays off! you may need to click "comment" two or three times to get it to "stick". You will be asked for word verification before posting to ensure it's not spam. Keep clicking "comment" until your thoughts are heard!)

Let's hear YOUR thoughts: